A reported rift within the potential cast of the “Legacy” edition of The Real Housewives of New York City has seemingly crashed the budding franchise. Page Six reports that the potential stars are not in agreement over what deal it would take to launch the throwback project.
The women who were prepared to sign Bravo’s deal are reportedly furious with the holdouts, which ultimately collapsed the show.
The network, which decided to start over with a brand new RHONY cast, has been negotiating with fan favorites—Luann de Lesseps, Sonja Morgan, Jill Zarin, Kelly Bensimon, and Dorinda Medley—for a spinoff show that would run alongside the revamped franchise. Talks reportedly broke down after the women asked for more than Bravo believed they were worth.
It appears that there were differing opinions within the potential group of “Housewives,” over the offered deal. Kelly was reportedly ready to sign on the dotted line, but a source close to the ex model claimed that “[Zarin] pushing for a big payday was the straw that broke the camel’s back.”
Dorinda Medley was also ready to step back into the Bravo spotlight, the outlet reports. Insiders added that Sonja was not in the negotiation game, out of an apparent lack of interest.
Bravo executive, Andy Cohen, took to Twitter on Tuesday to deny that the highly anticipated Legacy show was “dead.” He warned viewers, via a tweet, to not “believe everything you read,” adding a “RHONYLegacy” hashtag.
Bravo insiders previously told Page Six that contract negotiations had broken down and that the network had decided to “put a pause” on the Legacy series.
A source close to the cast called Bravo’s approximate four-episode deal “belittling.” Main cast members are typically guaranteed 12 episodes out of an approximate 24, in any given “Housewives” season.
“It’s not worth it and it’s belittling. These are the women that have made the show a hit in the first place. They don’t deserve to be nickel-and-dimed,” the source said.
The insider added—“They are generous offers but a few of the women now believe they should make what the cast of ‘Friends’ made in their heyday.”
The tipster said—“The network seems to have just lost interest in pursuing the ‘Legacy’ edition at this point. It seems producers are more focused on the RHONY reboot which we are hearing is fun, funny and aspirational.”
Cohen confirmed Bravo’s plan to bring back some of the old-timers in a new show, in March 2022.
“We’ve spent a lot of time figuring out where to go. And the plan that we’ve come up with, I think, is a real gift to the fans,” Cohen told Variety, at the time.
Fans happily reacted to Cohen’s tweet and pushed for the return of veteran cast members.
One fan tweeted—“Thank God. Because no one is looking forward to the ‘NEW Rhony’ we just want our OG’s back.”
Another person chimed in—“Thank you Jesus. Now make sure Jill, Dorinda, LuAnn, Sonja, and Ramona are at least in it.”
A third wrote—“Then give us some reliable information about legacy. It’s gone on to long. We want the OG’s back. Ramona, Sonja, Luann were on the show the longest. Pay them. They made RHONY what it is. I hear your friend Bethenny is available now. Read the room Andy we want legacy not a reboot.”
Ramona Singer confirmed that she would not be a part of the Legacy series, in November.
Avigail is an Entertainment blogger at All About The Tea, who specializes in The Real Housewives of Atlanta and The Real Housewives of Potomac. Avigail has a background in marketing. She’s a Brooklynite living in the Bahamas, with a passion for travel, writing, reality TV watching, pop culture and spoken word.