Team Shakira: Kristin Merlin – “Two Black Cadillacs”
It’s not just the fact that Kristin is from Massachusetts that makes me like her as much as I do (although that helps!) but she’s just a really fantastic singer!
- Adam – Adam thought this was Kristin’s breakout moment. He hears Shakira’s influence in her performance.
- Usher – Called her one of the strongest voices in the competition. He, too heard Shakira’s influence in Kristin’s voice.
- Blake – “That was as flawless as a live performance could be.”
- Shakira – She’s thrilled with the performance, called it amazing.
- My two cents: Local girl makes good!!
Deja Hall – “Battlefield”
- Adam – Thinks the sky is the limit for her in the future.
- Blake – She came out of her shell and he was happy to see her add some attitude.
- Usher – Things she occasionally over-sang the track because her voice is so strong.
- Shakira – Thinks Deja is flourishing and blooming. She saw Deja’s confidence and she’s proud.
- My two cents – This song felt too big for her. She’s young and darling but it just felt like the song was bigger than she was.
Tess Boyer – “Human”
This young woman is majoring in Pre-Law and Political Science. That takes serious brains!! But yeah, I’d take a career in music over a career in politics any day! Bonus points for choosing my daughter’s current favorite song.
- Adam – Her low register is beautiful. Calls Blake and Usher total morons for letting Tess get away from each of their teams.
- Usher – Calls her super-human to be able to hold notes the way she does.
- Blake – Thinks Tess is one of the best singers in the competitions.
- Shakira – Says Tess has an amazing gift and thinks she is so lucky to have Tess on her team.
My two cents – Man this girl’s got some pipes!!! If Shakira doesn’t keep her, I think I’ll have to throw something at my television.
Patrick Thompson – “Trouble”
- Adam – “I think this was your finest performance.”
- Usher – Didn’t really understand who Patrick was until this performance.
- Blake – He loves the rasp in Patrick’s voice.
- Shakira – She thinks this was Patrick’s moment and his voice was “always right on the money”.
- My two cents – Fantastic performance. But I don’t know if it will be enough to keep him around.
Dani Moz – “Edge of Glory”
I was so glad to see that it was just Dani and the piano. That was a nice twist on the usual. Plus, it made me like the song a lot better….I don’t really care for that song. Sorry, I know, I’m supposed to grovel at the feet of the Gaga. But I don’t.
- Adam – Thinks Shakira would be a loony to let Dani leave the competition now.
- Usher – While it wasn’t flawless because of nerves, Usher loved the emotion of it and it made him emotional.
- Blake – Called Dani’s performance a game changer.
- Shakira – She called Dani a true artist and said Dani made her actually listen to the lyrics of the song for once.
- My two cents – Fantastic! And that note! Holy crap!!
Who I would choose: Kristin, Tess, and Dani
Who I think Shakira will choose: Kristin, Tess, Patrick
Who Shakira chose: Tess, Kristin, Dani
This week Adam had the very difficult task of choosing which three of his five team members to keep and move along to the live shows. At the live shows America will get to weigh in and eventually have the final decisions on who becomes “The Voice”. The interesting thing about the Playoffs Round is that the singers get to choose their own songs to sing. Previously the coaches chose the songs for their team, but this time, they’re on their own…in a manner of speaking.
Delvin Choice – “Let’s Stay Together”
Delvin worked out all the pitch problems he’d had in rehearsal and turned in a beautiful, smooth performance.
- Usher – Calls him a real threat in the competition.
- Shakira – “It was delicious.”
- Blake – Blake thinks changing up his hair has made Delvin a better singer.
- Adam – He can’t believe no one turned around for Delvin’s first audition but he thinks his team is the team to beat this year.
- My two cents – He’s good but I would have liked to have heard him sing something a bit more contemporary.
Jake Barker – “She Will Be Loved”
Talk about a gutsy move by choosing his coach’s song. I don’t know that I’d have that kind of courage….even if I did have Jake’s voice.
- Blake – Great falsetto.
- Usher – Likes Jake’s growth but thinks he needs to find his own voice within the falsetto.
- Shakira – Wasn’t prepared to like it because she like’s Adam’s voice, but thought it was a solid performance.
- Adam – Thinks Jake’s improvement is amazing and he’s proud of the short time they’ve been able to spend together.
- My two cents – I was ready to hate Jake’s performance because I adore the original…..but I actually really liked it. Jake’s voice is very similar to Adam’s, and I really liked some of the changes he made in the tune.
Kat Perkins – “Open Arms”
So I was ff’ing through the commercials, went too far then had to rewind. As I was rewinding, I saw the headband Kat was wearing in rehearsals…..is it my imagination or was Kat wearing cat ears? Rehearsal also brought Adam saying, don’t hold back, Steve Perry never did.
- Blake – He’s got nothing critical to say. He can’t.
- Usher – Calls her a “sure thing” and “flawless”.
- Shakira – Says Kat never disappoints, that she’s so good with the big notes.
- Adam – He feels this is only the beginning for Kat. He also calls it flawless, says there hasn’t been a better performance than hers.
- My two cents – I can honestly say I’ve never heard a woman sing this song but I really loved it. I thought Kat did a fantastic job. That could be on the radio tomorrow and I think it would be a hit.
Morgan Wallen – “Stay”
Here’s my boy! And he’s singing COUNTRY!!! Have I mentioned how much I really, really like this kid? I can’t help it. There’s just something eminently likable about Morgan. I want to hear him sing more!!
- Blake – Wait, did Blake just invoke Pearl Jam?! Really?! Anyway, Blake likes Morgan’s country/rock blend.
- Usher – Realizes that he messed up making some choices for Morgan in the past because he realizes that Morgan should have been singing country music all along.
- Shakira – She’s noticed Morgan’s improvements.
- Adam – He was unaware of how excellent Morgan was until he heard Morgan sing this song.
- My two cents – Do I need to talk about how much I love this kid? I do. I really do. I love him.
Kristina Grimmie – “I Won’t Give Up”
She’s singing Jason Mraz. That’s one of those situations where it could either go very very well or very very badly. Rehearsal wasn’t exactly a flawless performance so there was really no telling which way she was going to go. She had a couple of screaming moments, but other than that, it was lovely.
- Blake – Says Kat is the best singer on Adam’s team….but her shirt’s too shiny.
- Usher – There was no flaw in the performance. She’s a baby Celine Dion. (There’s a moment where Usher starts talking about parts of Adam being little and at that point, I blushed and lost it.)
- Shakira – Just great. At least, I think that’s what she said, I was still stuck on Adam’s parts.
- Adam – He’s really happy with her mastery of what she is able to do.
- My two cents – A really good performance. A fantastic voice. I’m happy with it.
Who I would choose: Morgan, Kat, Morgan, Kristina, Morgan. (Did I mention Morgan??)
Who I think Adam will choose: Kat, Kristina, Morgan
Who Adam chose: Kristina, Delvin, Kat
Nooooooooooooooo! That sound you’re hearing is me sobbing into my iced tea. I’m so sad. Must go now. I have to find a box of tissues. Did your favorites stay? Or are they taking the midnight train with my dear Morgan? See you tomorrow for Team Usher’s Playoff round!